Sunday, November 16, 2008

In pain and struggling

Those of you who read my Honest Faith blog may remember that about this time last year I had a major health scare that turned out not to be life-threatening after all, but rather a very painful chest condition called costochondritis.

Well, at the end of October it came back. It's come and gone, but I have had to take time off work a few times because of it. Over the past week it's been particularly painful. I've been taking the same medication as last time, and it does help, but it doesn't always stop the pain.

On Friday it was particularly painful when I was in work, and I struggled to stay there. Perhaps I should have come home, because a teacher who can't focus on anything but the pain he's in isn't really an effective teacher at that point.

Anyway, my reason for posting this is that it's getting me down. I'm not in "uncharted waters" because I've had this condition before, but it's very painful and very unpleasant, and it's stopping me doing many of the things that I want/need to do (my wife is also very ill, and I need to take her to hospital appointments while doing all the household chores because she's currently unable to do much). Normal life, and many of my normal activities such as mountain biking, have had to go. I'm still able to go dancing on my good days, but I can't get out on my bike because whereas I can stop dancing if and when the pain returns, I can't just stop riding if I'm on a mountain track ten miles from home with no vehicle access. Plus, of course, this is affecting my work.

Prayer would be appreciated. Coping with my own illness as well as my wife's is a real struggle at the moment.

18 comments:

Sue said...

Oh, Barry, wow :( I suffered from CFS for years - and yeah, I much preferred myalgic encephalomyelitis because it sounds as serious as it bloody well is).

And so my heart goes out to you to hear of your health struggles as well. Mein Gott!! What a full plate! I will certainly pray for you.

Valorosa said...

Wow Barry
That's rough stuff you are going through.

Prayers and hugs to both of you and praying for wellness to wash over you both.

Mike said...

Barry

I am praying for your struggles.

Manuela said...

You both definately have my prayers!!! I've battled CFS and I know it ain't pretty....! I'm not completely recovered but I'm doing better in general. There is hope.
I'm sorry things have been so rough! Life really does throw curve balls sometimes. Love to you both (you and your wife)...We're here for you, thanks for letting us know!

Jeannette Altes said...

Papa, help Barry and his wife.

lou said...

I pray for healing and in the interum sweet Jesus I pray for your strength to endure and peace and rest
Hugs to you and your wife

Happy said...

still praying, Barry. and will keep at it...

may He grant you rest today - a break from both the pain and from worry. "Cast all your anxieties on Him, because He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7) I don't know all the whys, Barry, but I do know that He loves you - and He is with you.

grace, peace, love, hope, and joy to you,

Hap

Erin said...

I echo everyone else. I'm praying too.

Happy said...

Barry, I don't know if this will be as helpful to you now as it was then, but do you remember this?

peace,
Happy

Barry said...

Thanks, everyone. Happy, yes, I remember it. Good to know God's always here.

I've been off work again today - woke up in excruciating pain again :o(

Ruth said...

I'm praying for answers for you Barry. All these unknowns must be a huge weight.

Anonymous said...

praying.

Tyler Dawn said...

Oh barry, i am going to go right now and pray for you both, promise. Wish i could come take care of you guys. :(

Happy said...

Hey, Barry - it's been a couple of days... how are you doing?

Barry said...

I'm sitting at home, it's just gone 7 pm and I've had my first virtually pain-free working day for weeks. I hope that continues.

My wife is having surgery on Tuesday, so please keep prayng for her.

Happy said...

Absolutely. I'm glad you had a pain-free day today... SO glad. :)

Blessings,
Happy

Barry said...

An update: I've had several good days in a row now. Not entirely pain-free, but the pain has been sporadic and aching rather than constant and crippling, which is a big improvement.

Erin said...

Glad to hear it, Barry. I'll keep praying.