Monday, November 24, 2008

Update

Hi all,

If you've seen my blog, you've seen a song posted that my husband wrote. He's written several lately and put music to them. This is, I think, the fifth in line from him. It's important because, although it's not a promise, it's an apology for 18 years of lots of shit.

A brief synopsis of all of my brokenness lately is that on my birthday in September he forgot again. Maybe not forgot, but refused to acknowledge. That's typical of us. Something is important to me, his neurosis kicks in (fear of being controlled) and he withdraws. I wind up feeling abandoned. So.. after one more year among many of not being acknowledged in a special way I decided in my heart, "I'm done with this". That same week my step-grandfather passed away suddenly. That was tough and my husband was supportive, friendly but also realized I was making plans to move on with my health and my life. That same week a co-worker of his -- 21 yr old girl with a new baby and a failing marriage - called my husband to profess herself falling in love with him. Thus began the whirlwind.

My husband has been very honest throughout this whole ordeal - painfully so. At least I take comfort in the fact that I haven't been deceived. However, there have been many times I have been completely taken advantage of. Many would have thrown in the towel based on his feelings for this young girl 10 times by now. Three weeks ago I told him in all calmness, "I think we're done here" and I told him he should move out. He did not want this ordeal to cost him his family and was faced with the task of dealing with several internal issues of his own. Mind you, I am not perfect. However, my junk has been being dealt with for a while now. The task at hand became determining if we could be healthy and stay together or would we be more healthy as individuals to become individuals completely. We have three children; ages 8, 6 and 5. It would be huge adjustment to "try" separation for a while - obviously.

Throughout this process we have gone back to the beginning - why did we get married to begin with? Short answer: To be like *them* (people in our church circle). We thought we'd be the next *them*. Next we adopted ideas of *that couple* and tried to force each other into the ideal that went along with that -- never really recognizing who we were as individuals and the differences we held. If we did recognize it, we found fault in it. For example - when we first met, he loved how I didn't give a crap what anyone thought. Slowly, though, he convinced me that I should consider others way above myself and I became a neurotic little obsession in need of others approval which, yes, caused him to see me as weak. Our projections onto one another, thanks to religious roles, has completely sucked the life out of each of us.

Regardless of why we got married and what has kept us together (up until now, all religious reasons) we are still here and now have three children. So, instead of walking away completely we are trying to recognize each other for who we really are, deal with our own shadows and see if we can be healthy together or not. It's a one day at a time situation.

The work-girlfriend has died down some although the situation has come and gone quite a few times lately. I think the last piece of the puzzle was put to bed last week when 'chatting' became no longer an option outside of work. I thought that was settled long before last week but.. regardless... I think it's clear now.

Sixteen years of marriage and three kids plus lots of deconstruction has given room for growth and also provided many scary options. We still are walking together for now - we'll see how it all turns.

Many weeks ago I took off my wedding rings. The rings themselves were purchased out of urging from a friend in common (one of whom we idealized at the time) and everything those pieces of gold represent are no longer what I want a part of my life. I would like to happily wear a ring again but it won't be those - they represent what I don't want -- more of the same old forced compliance. He agrees.

We've tried our damnedest throughout all of this. If we can't move on together as friends, we'll have to attempt separating as friends. My mental weakness that occurs when we go to hell is not healthy nor is his neurosis flare-ups. We'll be healthy together or we'll be healthy apart. Either way -we love each other enough to want the best for each other; regardless of what that looks like in the near future.

All of that to say - if you've listed to the song on my blog - this update gives more back-story behind it. If you comment in detail about it, please do so here and not on my blog. He visits my blog but doesn't know about this site. I'm way more candid here.

21 comments:

Manuela said...

I listened to the song...It does sound like your husband really loves you and is honest about his weaknesses.
I will pray for you, your marriage and your family...

lou said...

I have nothing to say that wouldnt sound like a platitude so I will just pray
Father be with them as they walk through hell and help them to find themsleves and you

One Voice of Many said...

Manuela & Lou - Thank you.

Happy said...

to lou's prayer -

amen.


love and hugs, Michelle...

KariBryant said...

Oh Michelle...I just want to acknowledge the impossible situation you are in...I have no idea what I would do...but I completely understand the past posts about kind of "numbing" the pain, because I think in a way that I would probably just go into some sort of blank numb state for a long time...I am so sorry that you are going through all of this. I hope and pray that whichever way things work out, that you will be healthy and whole again, and that you will find joy and trust. I am just asking God to hug you all with his great big loving arms and to protect your children as much as possible...
It's hard to remember that we are all human when our humanity causes such pain...we are all weak and we all hurt one another...some things just seem to be bigger than others, huh? I really am so so sorry and if there is anything else other than prayer that we can do, please say so.
kari

Valorosa said...

Hmmm let me listen to that song again...
be back

Valorosa said...

Cool

I don't know you from a hill of beans but I noticed some things in that song as I listened to it again.

What came to mind was heroes and those who come to the rescue. That may be the whole reason for the support he gave to the 21 year old.

It is so archaic but it is in most husbands' minds to be the hero.

It's hard to see a man who forgets your special day as any kind of a hero, though. :-(

The song sounds like he would like to be your hero.

You sound like a gifted intelligent woman ... and you may not need a hero ... often we women don't.

We are very good at multitasking and doing without men.

If I was to play the feminist here I would say you don't need anymore hurt and you should kick him to the curb.

But I'm not a feminist, although I am grateful for their movement in the past.

I'm a lover, haven't always been one. But that's what I am now ... life has taught me there is NO other way to survive here and live in peace.

And love is not the 'act of loving' ... Love is God.

And love never fails.

God is love and those who live in love, live in God, and God lives in them.

Praying deeply and sincerely for you both and for your sweet little ones.

However it falls my heart is with you.

Erin said...

I just love you and I'm sorry you have to go though this. I'm hopeful that it will bring a stronger marriage in the end, but I've watched this roller coaster, and I can echo what Kari said. I don't know which way things will go, but I pray that you will find yourself healthy and whole again in the future and you will be able to be who your children need you to be in the process.

About 3 and a half years ago, when our "ordeal" was coming to a close, we bought new wedding bands. They were cheap, from a kiosk in the mall...they are simple stainless steel. But they are meaningful because we picked them together and put away all the things our old rings represented. We still have them, but I haven't worn them since then.

Jeannette Altes said...

{{HUG}}

One Voice of Many said...

You all are the best. I'm so thankful for you all.
I have moments that I feel strongly and securely that I will be o.k. either way. Other moments I can't get out of bed.

Yes I think he plays the hero to others and not to me sometimes - yet more of his own neurosis. He's working hard. We hope we can keep walking together. Of course that's the ideal. We'll keep taking each day anew and will be honest throughout it all. Nothing else we can do.

I know that while some feminists say "kick him to the curb" I know all too well his struggles from ten years ago in my own work place. He was gracious to me in spite of the tremendous pain that I brought upon him at that time. I'm certain that what I learned and endured from my side of things way back then has given me the ability to empathize and understand things he thought were incomprehensible but found comfort that I could relate completely.

My past has also allowed me to see things in advance that even he didn't see coming. Maybe that's part of my "bears" dream -- I saw clearly the dangers ahead and wanted to spare anyone I could from the sure demise. Maybe? Just rambling after several drinks.

What's interesting to me is that before all of this I saw him as invincible. The negative to that is that I didn't show him much compassion. I figured he had it all tied up and didn't need anything from me -- part of his "know it all" behavior I suppose. With this I've seen him entirely human and have been able to show compassion when most would think I'd be furious and hurtful.

Odd how life turns.

Heather said...

Oh, Michelle, reading this brings back so many memories.

My husband and I were in a very similar situation several years ago. For a while he did leave. I so wish I had the mindset I have now back then, because we were right in the middle of our "Churchianity" and anything other than staying together and working through it was not acceptable. So we were largely ignored when he did leave, and because I believed that all I should do is try to get him back I spent a lot of time allowing myself to be crushed again and again over it.

I know where you are. I know what it feels like. Despite the fact that I know it's going to sound trite, I really know that it was God who put things back together. And he really did - but what he made out of us was completely new and different and so much better. I would never go back to how we were before all that happened. I was not a whole, complete person before and now I am.

I will be praying for you.

{{Hugs}}

One Voice of Many said...

Heather - that is helpful to hear..truly. I'm ok with NEW and different but neither of us are open to going back to what was. It was built on such pretenses. Yes, we did our best, but it caused us both to lose so much of ourselves in the meantime.
I'm so glad you stopped by with that!

Nate said...

Hey,
I have never neem in that situation, so do not have anything to offer but love and support.

Unfortunately, I forget my wife's birthday too. My wife knows I love her, so she doesn't look for that validation of me doing something WOW for special occaisions. It just isn't who I am. So she always has to remind me about, both her birhtday, and our aniversary. Wait, and our childrens birthdays, and my parents birthdays, and basically every important day to people. So that, I understand.

Also, last year I had a revelation that really kind of blew my ego right out of the water. I (and please don't laugh at this, even though I know you will) finally realized that I will never be attractive to a 18-25 year old girl ever again. I am now just old. It was hard to rearrange my personal view of myself. Probably one overdue by a few years. But, during that rearrangement time, if someone had come to me that was young. It would have been hard for me.

As always, love and support. Praying for you daily.

Tyler Dawn said...

Sweetheart, all I want to do is wrap my arms around you and cry. Whatever happens, whatever you decide to do or not do, you are my sister and I love you. I wish I could be there.

One Voice of Many said...

Thank you, Tyler.
I feel that from you and all of you and I'm so very grateful.

One Voice of Many said...

Nate -
I didn't laugh actually. We all have to come to that conclusion that seasons are passed behind us.

It's not that the forgetting of birthdays is an issue. The hurt has been when he's been reminded and still chooses, out of rebellion, to not even say "happy birthday" or "happy anniversary" or whatever. I don't ask for big to-do's. I'm not that kind of gal. Just some recognition has always been my beef.

Anyway - that's just more explanation to the back story. He's trying to deal with his "I don't want to do it simply because you WANT me to" issues so maybe the little details fill fall into place. The root of the issue is the problem.

Ruth said...

My thoughts echo Valorosa's. In the video he says "I can't be the man you want me to be". The picture of the broken man is so haunting.
It seems that he wants to be a hero. (The Wild at Heart book by John Eldrige comes to mind.)

What kind of man does he think you want him to be and why can't he be that? What kind of man do you want him to be? (I'm just posing questions that the video brings to mind, not that you need to answer)

Could it be possible to discover who each other really is and fall in love again?

I've seen this Christian facade tear down more than one marriage. It's like people hide behind charactures of themselves, putting forward a cardboard image that fits into the box.

My other thoughts are that he has a hard heart to protect himself but on the other side he is rather infantile and feeding his own needs. I literally saw a picture of him sucking on a baby bottle in the fetal position. I'm just throwing out an impression I'm getting so please weigh it up in your own heart.

....praying for you muchly Michelle

Valorosa said...

:-)
Michelle

In your dream you sent someone to get your gun and you gave specific instructions about the ammunition.

So someone right now is loading a gun to bring to your aid and hopefully will have the beast under control before it gets through the door.

The mark of a true friend is one who listens to anything you dish up with love and compassion in their heart for you.

It sounds by what you say here that you are being that kind of friend to your husband.

Praying for Love to fill and envelop your home.

Valorosa said...

LOL

Oh yea and Nate

I am laughing hysterically...

I guess you are one of the fortunate ones who HAS realized ... some men never do.

One Voice of Many said...

Ruth -
That's it exactly - he wrote the song as an apology and saying he probably can't be what I need but he sure tried his best and meant well. It's not a promise of things to come by any means.

What he means by that is that --
He hasn't felt that he really loves me other than out of some long-time connection sense. I guess to put it simply he didn't feel he was "in love" with me. You can't force yourself to feel *that way* about someone so that's why he says he doesn't think he can be that person. But he also isn't even sure of that because he realizes his own neurosis and us trying to be people we're actually not has left him not sure how to define love anyway.

It's so messed up and quite difficult to explain in just type - I'm doing my best though. It probably sounds ridiculous though for those just reading here.

You correctly read a lot into your interpretation of the song, Ruth. He is very protected but yet very infantile at the same time. Family issues have crippled him at a young developmental age and he's tried hard by being "tough" to move on but all of this is forcing him to go back and time and try to deal with some of that of as well.

Val - He doesn't have close, honest friendships with anyone else. He's always put all of his eggs in one basket so to speak as far as friends go. So there was no one else to help prop him up and give him advise with all of this. I'm glad that he trusted in me although it wore me slam out!

With my past *mistake* I had always thought if what I learned could help someone one day that I'd be thankful for what I did learn out of it all. I never imagined that it would be HIM that was helped by my ill-gained knowledge. Twisted as it sounds, I'm thankful for that.

Ruth said...

Michelle - it's heartbreaking to hear but it's good to know what is happening with you. It explains all the pain.

Don't give up hope and be true to who you are. You are a delight!