Thursday, February 5, 2009

And so it goes

(cross posted from my blog)

Two days ago saw the hospitalization of my otherwise healthy (and young) mother. I'm not going to share details at this point, suffice to say they found a previously undiagnosed and unexpected, chronic problem. I will say it is a very good thing she got to the hospital when she did, because it could have resulted in something much worse than the miserable symptoms she's been having and the treatment she will now face. I'm thankful she's alive and has a great prognosis for recovery, with time.

However, of course, this has been difficult for me, a great sense of frustration that this was not diagnosed earlier, considering how much time she has spent at the Dr. these last few months. I'm frustrated that she had to become so ill before something was done. I'm frustrated that the amount of stress she's been under these last few years is a significant contributing factor, and like any good firstborn I keep wondering if there was something I should have done to help prevent it, or at least I should have realized something was wrong much sooner.

Of course, her symptoms have been somewhat mysterious these last few weeks, seeming very much like one thing, but then turning out not to be that at all. Dad and I both said now that we KNOW what's going on, it makes perfect sense and we both are kicking ourselves for not realizing it much sooner, even a year or two ago. I think maybe we didn't want to face the possibility.

In any case, I'm carrying a new weight around right now, and may not be as present as usual until things return more to normal. I appreciate your prayers for her recovery. Please pray for dad as well. Thanks all!

11 comments:

Valorosa said...

Praying Erin

Don't beat yourself up ... please ;-)

Jeannette Altes said...

Praying, Erin. {{{HUG}}}

Erin said...

Thank you.

Mom had a setback last night and it looks like several more days in the hospital.

KariBryant said...

Hey Erin...how is she today? I've been thinking of you guys.

Erin said...

Yesterday they had her back on an IV med because the oral one wasn't working. I haven't heard yet today, but they were going to try her on another oral med today and if it was working then send her home. It's only 8AM here so I don't know yet.

She was discouraged that she didn't go home yesterday, but also glad because she knows if they send her home before all the meds are working properly she'll just be back in a day or two.

Thanks for asking, Kari.

Erin said...

Well it looks like later today they are going to implant a defibrillator. It's not a terribly invasive surgery, but she's not happy about it anyhow. Still, if it means it will save her, then of course she wants it.

Please pray the surgery goes well and that this is the last step they need to take, so so can go home soon.

Thanks everyone!

KariBryant said...

Thanks for the update Erin..I was wondering about her this morning. I'll be praying.

Erin said...

Thanks Kari. So the Drs. have changed their tune since morning and now are not sure she needs it. We are still waiting for a definitive answer.

Sue said...

How is she holding up emotionally, Erin? I hope she gets out of the hospital soon!

Erin said...

They released her last night. They decided not to do the implant and to just observe her this week. She sees the cardiologist again on Friday. I think they said they want to wait a month or so and see how she's doing. They may decide at that point to do the implant.

Thing is, because her heart failure is viral, it's not a chronic condition. They don't want to implant a permanent d-fib if she's only going to need it for 6 months during her recovery.

Sue said...

Oh, she must be relieved to be at home in her own bed.

Viral, huh? Is that a good thing? It sounds like a preferable thing????