Sunday, October 12, 2008

Hello There!

HI everyone. I am pleased to contribute to Rahab's Kitchen! After many errors of trying to log on.. I did some searching and finally I got here! Don't you just love troubleshooting? Like the favicon for instance.. that is one thing I am still working on..

Anyway, moving away from the trouble shooting of computers and blogs.. I have been doing my own trouble shooting on 'life'. Finding a church is one major trouble shooting area for me. I dislike being a first time visiter as everyone makes a b-line for us after the service when we just actually want to browze around. We tried out a baptist church on Sunday. The sermon itself was excellent.. I think almost every sentence spoken was magnifying Jesus and what he did for us. But it was just not for us. The majority of them were wearing suits.. There I was with my army pants and my denim jacket... I didn't quite fit in haha..

The worship was like this"thus, doeth, sayeth, goeth stuff" it was 'boringeth' My son kept frowning at me as if to say,"mommy, why are we here, I am bored stiff."

I am starting to think that maybe my expectations are too high. I just don't know, If I could find a church that doesn't bother about the way they dress and just love one another that would be a good start. I am looking for preaching that preaches Jesus and worship that honestly is worship without the hype, that would be a good place.

However I am trying not to pressurize myself. I always thought if you are not in church, you are missing out on God (that was drilled into us by my Xpastor). So my deconstruction is to see that the kingdom of God is indeed within me and not some building.. That beyond church, God is with me.

Enough of my rambling. Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome, I am more than honored to contribute here!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

not to make you feel discouraged, but it may be difficult for you to find a church that will reflect your newfound faith and ideals.

however, i will pray that you will find what you are looking for. and if not, you will be given the wisdom and strength to start what you need.

getting there said...

So then, how many of you have found a church? are there any that come with good recommendations?

Anonymous said...

Personally, I've given up on finding a church.
I even went to Homechurch for a couple of years...but quit that recently too.
God may have an amazing place for you...but it may not come about by looking for it.
Ask Him. Then, let Him lead. Don't give in to the religious thing that says we have to 'fellowship'and get into a building or a program.
Just let Him lead. He knows you. He wants amazing things for you...

getting there said...

Thanks Chevachon, I guess I am disheartened by not finding a church yet.. church was my life. I lived and breathed church and it made me feel like I meant something.. it made me feel like I knew who I was and now that I am out.. I guess I need to find myself more first.I have still been stressing about finding a church.. the fear of back sliding.. once again, the indoctrination of the church.. that if you are not in a church, you are losing out.. but you all bring so much encouragement.

Erin said...

I have found a place that I call "my church if I were to have a church"...a place of acceptance, like you say. I go on occasion, when I feel like it, because I love the people there. Several good friends go there.

However, I haven't come to a place where I feel inclined to go to church on any regular basis. For me, I feel like I'm missing the point entirely if I try to pressure myself. I begin to make my faith about church and not about Jesus.

Like Wayne Jacobsen (whose podcasts I highly recommend) says: "Don't should on yourself". In other words, don't go looking for a church to join just because you feel that is what you are "supposed" to do as a Christian. Many Christians lead vibrant and healthy lives of faith without ever setting foot in a church. When/if you do go to church, make sure it is because your heart and spirit are calling you to it, and for no other reason.

Happy said...

getting there - hi! are you really in South Africa? (i ask because at one point my blog said i was an accountant in indonesia or something equally untrue and i didn't know.) :) if you are, i have some friends who have lived there and i can ask around and see if maybe they might be able to suggest a place to visit. just let me know. :)

Jeannette Altes said...

I am not in the market for a church and don't know when I will be. And it took a while to get comfortable with that. I still miss the sense of belonging - of community, but I don't want to step into one that is false again, so for now... church isn't much on my radar.

Manuela said...

Hi and welcome! Will pray about your journey...:) peace-

Nate said...

Checking to see where you live. But those types of churches are actually springing up all over here in the USA. There is one meeting at the YMCA (Young Mens Christian Association) here in Savannah, GA, USA. My mother goes to one in Minneapolis, MN, USA. So they are coming, patience will find you one.

getting there said...

HI, thanks everyone for your comments. I am in South Africa, Cape town and I have yet to find a Capetonian who is under deconstruction or any churches like what I am looking for, there are either overly pentacostal or charismatic churches or very legalistic ones.. I am trying to find the middle one.. the in betweener.. I do miss church but I will just rely on God to lead me. Thanks all!

Tyler Dawn said...

Hey hon, I have been out for over four years now and have stopped looking. And I have finally found peace about it but the first year or so was pretty tough. Took a long time to learn to start distinguishing the difference between what Abba wanted from me and what people expected of me.

So don't worry, where two or three are gathered in His name, there He is in the midst. As Wayne Jacobsen also points out, why do we disparage the meeting of two or three and promote so heavily the meeting of many? I find it easier to find the love and edification of God with a few than in the midst of many.

Erin said...

I'd like to mention my friends Nestus and Anette Venter, if you don't already know them. They live in South Africa, but I can't say I know where. Still, they might be able to point you in a direction as far as a church goes.

getting there said...

Thanks Erin, will definitly check them out :)