Wednesday, November 19, 2008

a mental picture



it's so great to stop and look around here and see what i see. everyone wearing their "work clothes", sleeves rolled up, paint smudges on their cheeks. mike using the table saw and drill to put up cabinets in the Kitchen. the air thick with the smell of baked goodness and coffee. just because the paint's not dry doesn't mean we're not able to operate...



it's a beautiful thing this Kitchen. to "look around" and see so many other great people who i've come to love and share intimacy with, right next to me, plugging away at a common goal. to give birth to something beautiful in this world.



this Kitchen can become anything we want it to be. decks, verandas... why not? we can have it all if we're willing to put in the hard work to make it happen. i think those are both great ideas and ones that deserve merit and contemplation. first things first, of course. but there's no reason why our vision can't go as far as the spirit can take it, eventually, if we're committed to it. i expect we'll continue to have to add on to the Kitchen as long as it keeps growing. i have no expectations for what it is or what it may become. i'm only curious to see what will grow after the sowing is done. :-)

yet, strangely, in that vein, i feel god asking me to put it down until the end of the year. to draw closer to him for a "closet" or "desert" season. to fast and pray. as well as step out of the way for a bit. and when i return, see what has grown in my absence. as well as share with you all about what i've heard in the desert.

i have one more post to put up at my place, then i'll be off. so here's some prayers and hugs in advance. as well as some esoteric advice and nostalgia inducing musical references just for fun.

much, much love to you all. you mean more to me than these simple letters arranged just so could ever tell.

you guys rock.

7 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh jON you will be extremely missed and all that you have offered and given to all of us is priceless! May Father show you things and grow and expand your horizons! I am blessed by you brother!!! I will be here when you get back!!!

In Freedom, Nicole!

Anonymous said...

gosh...thanks. :-)

couple of things:
1. no expectations here, but to any newbs out there, you are more than welcome to put your picture on the Kitchen wall. very cool to add faces to names for those who feel comfortable with that sort of thing.

2. i found this neat clock for the kitchen wall. you can add more clocks and choose your own time zone. i thought it would be cool for us each to set a clock for our zone with a name attached. if your zone is already represented, just add your name to the clock.

thought it would be cool to know what time it was for everyone else while we're visiting.

mwah!

Mike said...

The clock was a great idea jON. I am also feeling very led, as you are, to hang this up for a season and just slow down and figure out what the hell is going on in my life. Things have been very rough around here lately.

If I don't talk to you before, have a blessed Christmas and a very Happy New Year.

Sue said...

Good idea for the clock, Jon. I admire those willing to listen and go aside. I am wondering if I am being asked the same thing myself but I'm unsure. All I know is that blogging has lost its allure for me these days.

I look forward to hearing what you have to share. I do love the way God draws us aside like this. I'm actually a bit jealous, I think. His voice seems a bit further away than usual to me at the moment, I almost miss the barrenness of the desert.

Go well, dear bro :)

Susan Barnes said...

Looking forward to hearing what God says to you when you get back, Jon. Don't stay away too long :)

Erin said...

Well Jon, you know we will miss you, but if you need to take a break, I compltely respect that. Have fun and don't forget to come back!

I love the clock.

Susan Barnes said...

Thanks to whoever added me to the clock. It is very cool to know what time it is for other people.