Saturday, November 22, 2008

A Room for the Negatively Emotioned

Hello Kitcheners

I have just added on a new room in the ever-expanding space that is Rahab's. It is a room painted in nice mental institutionalish soothing green tones, and set aside especially for those of us who are wallowing in the societally and christianityally displeasing sins like anger, bitterness, and crustiness in all of their forms. I call it the Pissed Off Room, which isn't very nice and pleasant a name at all, is it? But then, neither are those emotions :) Anger seems to be an emotion that freaks people out more than any other - and with good reason. How scary it is to see it in yourself, let alone in other people. But still, I think there is a space for it, for learning how to roll with it and harness it. I have this idea that the things that are making us angry can't really be overcome until we turn and walk into them and embrace them, to a certain extent. I would like the Pissed Off Room to be accessed by a slide from both the women's premenstrual verandah and also the men's wedgie deck, which goes down into a whole lot of balls, like they have in Ikea. I propose the walls be made of a nice splodgy substance which has plenty of give and take when you ram your head into them :)

I am doing a liver detox of sorts at the moment along with a heavy metal detox. My liver is quite overloaded and needs lots of supplemental support. It's all going okay and I'm not having a nervous breakdown or anything but I really do understand why in Chinese medicine the liver is considered the organ that deals with anger. Sometimes I wonder where all this anger in me comes from and sometimes I doubt it shall ever be dealt with. Which is where your prayers come in, if you feel so inclined. Some of you know that I have just come up out of the murk of 6+ years of chronic illness followed by a marriage breakdown. It's been two years now since my marriage broke up and I do definitely feel like I am healing. Sometimes, however, I get the feeling that I should be moving on more quickly than I am. But still, these things just can't be rushed and neither do I want to.

I am reading an interesting book at the moment called The Gift of Grief by a rabbi called Matthew Gewirtz which is a good read. One of the reminders I am taking away as I read it is that to be fully present to my own pain is really the only road through, even though at times that does feel unbearable, does it not, bloggers? But still, in my heretical meditation practices I do find that once turning and facing the anger or wahtever and really embracing it, in almost a physical way, brings such peace. What doesn't bring peace is the fact that I also feel crusty, old, grouchy and ultra critical at the moment, which is why if anyone wants me I'll be rolling around in the Ikea balls. Anyone else wanna join me? :)

10 comments:

Valorosa said...

Sure I'll come sit with you ... I don't feel this way right now but I have.

Erin said...

I'll come too...I remember playing in the ball pit (isn't that a really unfortunate name for something so fun?) with my boys when they were small...not at Ikea because we didn't have one yet then, but at other places.

It's always OK to take these things a day at a time. So allow yourself.

Sue said...

Ah, yeah, one day at a time is a concept I am enamoured with. And I was just telling my friend today, who also has CFS and has been through the trials of antibiotic use to treat rickettsia (which is like detoxing only worse), it doesn't matter how many times I'm in the middle of it and am intellctually telling myself that I am feeling this way because of the detox - it doesn't matter how many times I tell myself that because there is a part of me that doesn't believe it and loses perspective. Sigh.

I feel like a freak at the moment. So come, come and play in the balls with me. I'll play nice, I promise :)

Tyler Dawn said...

Sounds like one may need armor to enter in safely!

One Voice of Many said...

Sue -
I'll come play and sit too. Some times there are no words. I heard a Carl Simon song the other and one lyric jumped out: "leave me to my wounds". But sometimes just having someone sitting near is quite the comfort.
Michelle

One Voice of Many said...

Paul Simon.. not Carl! Sheesh..where's my head?!

Manuela said...

oh yeah I see the need for this room...good idea! An offshoot of the PMS veranda- lol, lovely. A place to get it out.
There was a cool line in a movie I just saw that said "if there's something bitter in your mouth, it seems to me you ought to spit it out..."( movie is Amazing Grace, HIGHLY RECOMMEND it, if anyone needs real encouragement or just wants to watch SOMETHING REALLY GREAT)
Anyway, it HAS to be in a an insulated place-- padded walls, sound cushions, pillows to hit and the such, AND love needs to be there not to mention acceptance : )
Love you Sue

Fiona said...

Absolutely.So needing this room right now.

Sue said...

I think the one rule of the room is, don't punch out other room occupants. Cool :D

You're right Michelle, just knowing people are sitting near does make the difference. Seems there's a few of you in here :) Good. Makes me feel like less of a freak :) Hugs to you all, o angered/bitter/crusty/whatever the issue is ones :)

Manuela said...

I like this "padded room". Can we call it that?
oh, Sue. i really can relate to the feeling like a freak at times, often. But then I think if we were REALLY of this crazy world, we would feel so "normalized" which is yuck! Then again, I don't like feeling like a freak... I guess it all depends on why we are feeling as we are feeling...anyway...
Fiona! Do you need to vent, here? How goes it...? We're hear to just listen... and pray... : )