Monday, November 3, 2008

Mom in Law

Hi all. Today I spent a couple hours with my mom in law, Judy. I watched HGTV with her, and painted her fingernails and toenails. Today she was able to choose her nail polish color instead of having to take whatever shade of pink I gave her. I think this was fun for her, a break from her routine. She even let me paint her toenails lavender! I asked her twice, just to be sure, and she was sure.

For those who may not know...the short version is had a benign brain tumor removed on May 29th. On may 30th she had a stroke, where she lost everything on her right side and the ability to speak or answer questions (basically like a newborn baby), only to whimper and cry. In the interim she has had nothing but problem after problem: a variety of infections, hydrocephalus, and seizures, and the inability to eat or drink much, which had her in and out of the hospital about every two weeks. She had a shunt put in on September 4th, and a gastro tube in mid September and has finally been improving ever since. She is a woman of God, a Pastor's daughter and a Pastor's sister and a Pastor's wife. She has served the Lord her entire life which is why this is so hard.

In the comments on my Anniversary post (thanks everyone!), Jon was asking how he could pray for her, so I'm going to share about that for anyone who may want some specifics.

One thing is she has atrophied so much from being bedridden since June that she still cannot stand or walk. So we would like to see her continue to regain strength so one day she may walk again. She was a petite woman to begin with, and these months have seen her fall below 100 lbs.

Another thing is that while she is speaking and answering questions often now, each word is still a struggle for her. We would like this to continue to improve, as well, and for it to be easier and easier for her to communicate.

Now that she has improved some, she needs visits and company now more than ever, because she is more alert and is able to make conversation. I would pray that her friends be even more willing to come spend time with her.

As well, because she is more aware, she has been breaking down crying more often as she is realizing more about her condition and about how long it's been -- and today I think it was because she is more aware of how much her husband has done for her in these months. I would pray she feels God near and he grants her peace and encourages her from the inside.

So there you have it. Thanks all in advance for your prayers. They are much appreciated.

9 comments:

Delirious said...

I think you have really done a great job here. I think it is so important to pray specific prayers. You have really thought about this and about her needs. That is what true empathy is all about.

Mike said...

I am praying for all of her needs Erin.

Anonymous said...

thank you for the update. we'll keep praying.

getting there said...

Oh dear.. Erin, you and your family (mom in law) are in my prayers.

Tyler Dawn said...

I will be praying, possibly one of the worst things for me was the day I was smart enough to realize how much I lost, so I do understand how very much she needs prayer.

Erin said...

Thanks you guys.

Yes, Tyler, I think that's where she's at right now....realizing the full extent of what has happened and that she has lost 5 months of her life to it.

Valorosa said...

Wow she has already gained so much back. :-)

HALLELUJAH :-)

And thank you Lord God that she will continue.

WOOHOO ;-)

Sue said...

Lavender nail polish - how beautiful :)

I know this sounds schmaltzy and Hallmark, but I really think you doing that for her is such a healing, wonderful thing, small though it is.

Isn't it funny how so often we feel like we can't do anything because whatever we do won't be enough - but when you're the receiver, sometimes it's the little things that stick with you the most.

I'm glad to hear she is still improving, hooray :) Poor darling, it must be so hard for her.

Erin said...

Yes, she has gained a great deal. While it's easy to compare how she is now with how she normally is...we also have to remember to compare how she is now with where she was two months ago.


And yes, Sue...it was so cute....if she doesn't mind me calling her cute...anyhow, she was so still and seemed to really enjoy having her nails painted. She admired them and all. I was glad I took the time because it seemed to be meaningful to her.